Wednesday 14 November 2012

First Cheque for Writing part 2

I proudly took my $25 cheque, for seventh place in the '81st Annual Writer's Digest Writing Competition' Children and Young Adult short story section, to the bank to day and got a surprise.

I knew that I'd lose some value with the exchange from US dollars to Australian, $23.21. What I did not know was that the bank would charge me $10 to deposit the cheque into my account. Is charge is to cover the, supposed, cost of applying to the USA to get the money. So now it's $13.21. Considering that the entry fee for the competition was $20, I actually lost $6.79. You can see why I'm in this for the money!

I'm very proud of this award, my first, and I'm very happy to have received my cheque for writing. I made a copy that I hope to frame one day. I also got a lot of other benefits from the award, 12 months free subscription to the magazine, free membership to a number of good web sites for writing, my story printed in a book and much more. However, if you are looking to make money, US competitions do not seem to be the way to do it. Although, first place was $1000, well a little over $900 after the exchange rate, fees and charges.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment