Saturday 12 April 2014

Positive Rejections


I've just received another short story submission rejection. So it's now two rejections and one acceptance out of the four submissions I've recently made. One out for three is not to bad and if it becomes two out of four (50% success) I'll be very happy.

Although I am getting a fairly large number of rejections, there is a positive spin to them. Most of my rejections this year have come with a please submit again comment of some kind.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

  • I appreciate your interest in our Magazine* and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.
  • We hope you continue to submit to our Magazine* in future and I wish you all the best with your publishing endeavours.
  • We encourage you to submit to our Magazine* again.
  • Thanks again for submitting to us, and we hope to hear from you in the future.
  • In any case I hope you'll consider subbing again because your story was head and shoulders above a lot of other submissions.
  • Please feel free to submit other work in the future.
I've been told, and believe, that editors/publishers usually mean it when they say please try again. So, the fact that I'm getting a lot of these must mean that I'm on the right track. All I've got to do now is right the stories so I can submit them.

If you liked (or disliked) this post please leave a comment. You could also like my page on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter.

*I've taken out the name of the magazine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rick,

    Well done - sounds like you're making real progress.

    There is a wiki online that collates rejection letters so you can tell if your letter is a form letter, or a personal rejection (www.rejectionwiki.com). I've found it useful for rejection letters where I can't quite tell!

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing really well, Rick :)

    ReplyDelete