Although I am getting a fairly large number of rejections, there is a positive spin to them. Most of my rejections this year have come with a please submit again comment of some kind.
Here are some examples of what I mean:
- I appreciate your interest in our Magazine* and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.
- We hope you continue to submit to our Magazine* in future and I wish you all the best with your publishing endeavours.
- We encourage you to submit to our Magazine* again.
- Thanks again for submitting to us, and we hope to hear from you in the future.
- In any case I hope you'll consider subbing again because your story was head and shoulders above a lot of other submissions.
- Please feel free to submit other work in the future.
I've been told, and believe, that editors/publishers usually mean it when they say please try again. So, the fact that I'm getting a lot of these must mean that I'm on the right track. All I've got to do now is right the stories so I can submit them.
*I've taken out the name of the magazine.